Tuesday morning Pitch and Stitch - 10.00am to 1.00pm

Tuesday morning Pitch and Stitch - 10.00am to 1.00pm
This hanging from Annie Downs' Hatched and Patched book should be in every caravan as a cushion or decoration!

Thursday 23 October 2014

Rainbows and knitting

We had a brilliant workshop yesterday which has left me all fired up - Sandra taught us the basics of Modular (or Domino) knitting.

 I love knitting but am rather laborious about it: I have to concentrate all the time.  I envy people who can chat, watch TV or even knit with their eyes shut - I can't open my mouth or look up as I carefully execute each stitch - sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe!  But once I get into the zone I could easily knit all day.  When I went to the Shropshire flower show I bought a beautiful blanket which I wrapped up in while we watched the firework display.

The seeds were sewn - I am determined to knit a blanket - and I'm going to knit it the modular way.  It will be in stripes of all the colours of Autumn and I plan on it being single bed size.  I have a way to go.....
                                                                            ........I'll get there though!

Taking the picture above I thought I should take a picture of a quilt I bought off Vera
She made it out of feed sacks.  In the 20s and 30s in America Seed and feed producers realised how popular quilting was and decided that if they used patterned fabrics for the bags they would sell more.  You can still find old feed sacks for sale which is what Vera did and I love this little quilt.  Sadly all our feed comes in plastic and paper sacks, otherwise.........
Ros also joined us in the morning to baste her beautiful Kaffe Fasett quilt

What a riot of colour!

Earlier in the week I received an email from Julie, who was on our last Beginner's quilt.  She said:

Hi Ladies,
I finished it!!! You wouldn't believe how thrilled I am to have made it to the end. It doesn't bear too close a scrutiny but "it is my first quilt" and I'm rather proud! Thank you both so much for all your help and encouragement; I have loved every bit of it - alright, maybe the hand quilting went on a bit, but apart from that!
 
And here are her pictures:

Binding all finished
 
Before I go and get on with my knitting, this is what I saw out of the window on Tuesday

It was actually a double rainbow but by the time I got my camera it was fading.  It was still beautiful though and I looked to see where the end was



Perhaps instead of knitting I should go down to the barn and start digging!



No comments:

Post a Comment